To enable Compiz fusion on any Linux Guest (including Fedora 12) in VirtualBox is easy since VirtualBox supports 3D acceleration.
The following procedure is to install and enable Compiz on Fedora 12 as Linux guest in VirtualBox. This procedure might work on other distribution of Linux. This procedure is not for Fedora 12 installed in Microsoft Virtual PC or VMWare.
Installing and Enabling Compiz on Fedora 12 in VirtualBox
- In the virtual machine setting for Fedora 12, make sure that you set the display RAM at the maximum of 128MB and checked “Enable 3D Acceleration”
Install VirtualBox Linux Guest Additions
- Before installing guest additions, you need to install gcc, kernel headers and dkms.
- #yum install gcc kernel-devel dkms
- Next, you need to mount the Guest Additions ISO and proceed to the main folder. Run the appropriate guest addition base on your guest OS and architecture such as:
- After installation proceed to restart the virtual machine since kernel has been modified.
Install Compiz Fusion
- The command to install Compiz fusion is as follows:
- #yum install emerald-themes compiz-fusion-extras emerald compiz-fusion compiz-manager compiz-fusion-extras-gnome gnome-compiz-manager libcompizconfig compiz-fusion-gnome ccsm
You can change the settings using CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm) under System >> Preference. However, due to some bug, the changes in ccsm will not affect the system. To rectify this problem you need to change the script file for Compiz in /usr/bin/compiz-gtk
Once you open this file, change the following line from:
- exec compiz –ignore-desktop-hints glib gconf gnomecompat $@
- exec compiz –ignore-desktop-hints glib gconf gnomecompat ccp $@
Enabling, Configuring and Using Compiz
- You enabled Compiz by select System >> Preference >> Desktop Effect. Choose Compiz.
- You can change the effects using System >> Preference >> CompizConfig Settings Manager
- To rotate the Window Cube, press Ctrl+Alt and simultaneously use your mouse to rotate the window.