Installing Compiz on Fedora 12 is not easy. First of all, due to compatibility issues with nouveau driver, additional steps are required to install and configure nvidia 3D driver. After resolving 3D driver issue, you need to modify Compiz configuration file so that your settings are captured. The installation procedure is the same for 32-bit/64-bit Fedora 12.
Note: The following procedure is to install Compiz on Fedora 12 in a normal PC environment using Nvidia display card.
Please DO NOT use this procedure to install Compiz on a Fedora 12 guest machine in VirtualBox.
To install Compiz on Fedora 12 virtual machine in VirtualBox. Check this post: Using Compiz on Fedora 12 as Linux Guest in VirtualBox
Installing Proprietary Nvidia Driver
Important: This procedure involves in modifying the kernel. You need to reboot the PC if you have just updated your kernel before starting this procedure.
Open a terminal with root access. Then proceed with the following command:
- #yum install akmod-nvidia kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
After installing the drivers, you need to change some security setting on SELinux:
- #setsebool -P allow_execstack on
Then you need to perform the following to disabled nouveau driver:
- #mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
- #dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
Important: Reboot your PC since kernel has been modified. Ensure that the Nvidia driver is working properly
- Please note that after you had install kmod-nvidia driver, you need to resinstall the driver whenever there is a kernel update.
- In order for the Nvidia driver to update automatically after every kernel update, we include the driver akmod-nvidia.
Issue the following command to install Compiz:
- #yum install emerald-themes compiz-fusion-extras emerald compiz-fusion compiz-manager compiz-fusion-extras-gnome gnome-compiz-manager libcompizconfig compiz-fusion-gnome ccsm
You can change the settings using CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm) under System >> Preference. However, due to some bug, the changes in ccsm will not affect the system. To rectify this problem you need to change the script file for Compiz in /usr/bin/compiz-gtk
Once you open this file, change the following line from:
- exec compiz –ignore-desktop-hints glib gconf gnomecompat $@
- exec compiz –ignore-desktop-hints glib gconf gnomecompat ccp $@
Enabling, Configuring and Using Compiz
You enabled Compiz by select System >> Preference >> Desktop Effect. Choose Compiz.
You can change the effects using System >> Preference >> CompizConfig Settings Manager
To rotate the Window Cube, press Ctrl+Alt and simultaneously use your mouse to rotate the window.
I’ve compiled a shell script that automate the compiz installation. If you are new Linux user, it is recommended that you follow the step mentioned above.
For seasoned user, you can download the script: FC12-compiz-install-noarch
Please read the script file carefully prior installation. There is no support or warranty using this script file.